Common Bicycle Accident Injuries in Denver
Bicyclists are at an extreme disadvantage when it comes to collisions with motorists. This is largely because cyclists are so exposed to the road and the other vehicle. Unlike drivers, they do not have the protection offered by thousands of pounds of steel. Nor do they have seat belts and airbags to shield them from impact. As a result, injuries sustained by cyclists in collisions tend to be serious. And in some tragic cases, they are deadly.
Sometimes, another person’s negligence causes the accident. In these case, injured parties can typically collect compensation. However, the process is complex and difficult to navigate. In these situations, a bicycle accident attorney can help.
Let’s take a moment to review some of the more common injuries attributed to bicycle accidents in and around Denver:
Types of Injuries
The road, vehicles, and other hazards are all dangers to a cyclist. Riders can sustain a number of serious injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). They are the result of a sudden blow to the head that causes the brain to come into contact with the skull itself. This leads to brain tissue damage that could manifest as memory loss, brain damage, coma, and death;
- Facial injuries, including abrasions, bruising, and fractures;
- Soft tissue injuries, including damage to the muscles, tendons, or ligaments. They are usually the result of a heavy blow;
- Abrasions and lacerations from coming into contact with the road, broken glass, or crash debris. These injuries can result in severe blood loss and potential amputation;
- Compound bone fractures. Doctors see fractures in the arms, wrists, and clavicles frequently;
- Joint dislocation, usually in the shoulders;
- Chest and abdominal injuries, such as organ damage and internal bleeding; and
- Spinal cord injuries. Broken vertebrae that puncture the spinal column causes the injury. The damage can lead to temporary or permanent paralysis.
Treating Your Injuries
Treating these types of severe injuries is difficult and painful. Treatment is also expensive. Suffering a serious injury like a spinal cord injury often requires multiple surgeries. After that, there is grueling physical therapy. In addition, you must use a variety of medications to manage pain. Finally, you may have to buy specialized medical equipment.
Many injured cyclists also need ongoing care. Especially if their injury is severe enough to result in permanent disability. Even treating a less serious injury, such as a broken bone can be expensive. The break may be severe enough to require surgical placement of rods and screws.
In some cases, no amount of precautionary measures can help. A cyclist simply cannot avoid an accident and injury. However, wearing a helmet, using reflectors, and equipping your bike with a headlamp can help. These safety tools reduce your chances of sustaining a serious and life-changing injury.
Contact a Denver Bicycle Accident Attorney Today
Please contact the Law Office of Steve Roberts, LLC at (720) 515-7058 to speak with an experienced bicycle accident attorney who can review your case. You can also reach a member of our legal team by sending us a brief online message describing your case.