Suspect That a Loved One Died Due to Negligence?
When a person dies due to negligence, the surviving family members may sue the responsible party in what is called a wrongful death suit. Wrongful death claims can be brought against anyone suspected of negligence in any of the following activities:
- Auto, truck or motorcycle accident
- Recreational vehicle accident
- Medical malpractice
- Workplace accidents
- Nursing home neglect or abuse
- Defective product manufacturing
- Child care
This list is not exhaustive, but these are common activities where negligence often plays a part in a person’s wrongful death. If this happens to your family, take these necessary steps immediately:
- Gather the details concerning your loved one’s accident – Who was involved? Where did it take place? What time of day was it? What was your loved one doing? Get as many answers to these types of questions as possible.
- Retrieve documentation to prove your relationship to the deceased – In a wrongful death suit, it’s important to establish your relationship to the person who has died. Appropriate paperwork could include a birth certificate, a marriage license, adoption papers, or other documents that establish your relationship.
- Get proof of loss of income – If your loved one’s death will result in a loss of income or benefits, gather the information about how much income he or she made and what specific benefits you will lose as a result of the death.
- Speak to a qualified attorney – Schedule an appointment with an attorney experienced in handling wrongful death cases. To obtain the justice you deserve through legal action, do not delay this step. Even though you and your family may be in serious emotional pain – not to mention hard pressed by other time sensitive obligations regarding logistics, the funeral, and care for children and dependents – time can be of the essence for your case. To preserve your ability to obtain justice and fair compensation, seek insight as soon as you can against all other urgent matters.
If you have you experienced the sudden loss of a loved one due to someone else’s negligence or carelessness, our team is here to help. Call our Denver wrongful death attorneys at 720-515-7058 for a thorough, free consultation.